The Department ofConservation and Recreation manages one of the largest and most diverse stateparks systems in the nation and protects and enhances natural resources andoutdoor recreational opportunities throughout Massachusetts. DCR is a dynamicagency, and is one of the largest park systems in the nation. The DCR systemincludes over 450,000 acres of parks, forests, water supply protection lands,beaches, lakes, ponds, playgrounds, swimming pools, skating rinks, golfcourses, trails and parkways.
The Department ofConservation and Recreation is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Construction & Maintenance Foreman.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES:
Supervises theactivities of a construction and watershed maintenance crews in maintainingstructures, facilities, roads, fields, and forests in the Quabbin/Ware River Region, and other related duties as required.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES:
* Supervises the New Salem and Oakhamwatershed maintenance crew (9) - weekly SSTA review and approval; leave requestreview, approval/denial; EPRS Stage A, B, C with Form 30 updates; andprogressive discipline, if needed.
* Supervises activities of aconstruction and maintenance crew; Schedule and oversee regular serviceand maintenance of equipment and tools; Maintains inventory of equipment andmaterials; takes annual inventory of tools, materials, equipment and trucks; Prepares weekly activity reports;Maintains records of materials andsupplies used in construction and maintenance activities; Record activities and accomplishmentof staff and prepares quarterly reports related to the WPP.
* Supervise and assists in theconstruction of building forms (e.g., boat ramps), setting and pouringfoundations
* Supervise and assist in theconstruction, maintenance and repair of facilities and structures (e.g., septicsystem)
* Supervise WM crew in the maintenanceand construction of watershed forest roads; clear rights of way along internalDWSP roads
* Supervise and assist in theoperation of power saws, winches, trucks and other equipment used in cuttingtrees or clearing rights of way.
* Supervise and assist in in timberharvesting and forest maintenance activities (e.g., loading and hauling logsout of forests); coordinate timber lot sale access commitments with forestrystaff.
* Supervise and assist in themaintenance of watershed maintenance light and heavy equipment.
* Participate in the procurement ofmaterials and services related to watershed maintenance following currentprocurement policy.
* Supervise and participates inemergency operations including but not limited to hazardous materials andnatural disasters.
* Deliver staff and equipment in thestate, as needed.
* Direct and assist in the building ofcoffer dams and bulkheadsDesign and supervise the installationof security fence systems (e.g., gates and bar ways)
* Coordinate access with outside user groups on DWSP land use as needed according to Public Access Plan and existingregulations
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATIONREQUIREMENTS:
* Based on assignment, possession of acurrent and valid Massachusetts Class B (CDL) Operators License and HoistingLicense (2A & 1C)
* ChainSaw Operation and Experience
* SupervisoryTraining and Certification
* AsbestosAwareness Training
* Abilityto obtain 4G endorsement within 6 months of hire, depending on job location.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in the construction, maintenance and/or repair of concrete and steel structures.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class II Operators License.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Associated topics: backfill, field, grounds maintenance, irrigation, jardinero, maintenance, paver, plant, pruner, trimmer